Dog poisoning symptoms, a look at common symptoms of dog poisoning

If your dog has been poisoned, you need to seek treatment quickly. There are a few symptoms of dog poisoning that you should be aware of. These signs mainly depend on the amount of toxin that your dog ingested and his weight. Before we discuss these dog poisoning symptoms, let’s take a look at some of the common ways your dog can get poisoned.


Dogs usually eat or drink toxin materials. Antifreeze that leaks from your car tastes sweet to animals, so they will readily lick it. Your dog can also eat a mushroom that pops up after a rainy night. Toxins can also be delivered in the form of insect stings or hazardous fumes. In some cases, dogs absorb the materials through their skin.


Speaking of skin, the development of a rash is one of the first symptoms of dog poisoning. The rash occurs when toxins enter through the skin and are absorbed in the bloodstream. However, sometimes a rash can form because of dermatitis or another skin condition.


One of the more serious dog poisoning symptoms is the appearance of blood. Some toxins are dangerous enough to cause internal bleeding. You may notice blood in your dog’s stool, vomit, or from the nose. One of the common substances that causes this sign is rat poison. So, always be careful when using this around your home.


Some substances affect your dog’s brain. This can lead to loss of coordination which you can easily notice when your dog moves around. Damage to the brain can also cause seizures or tremors. Another severe sign that the brain has been affected is the loss of consciousness. Sometimes, dogs can remain conscious but appear to be in their own world. Death usually follows if the dog slips into a coma.


One of the final symptoms of dog poisoning is the loss of appetite. If poisoned, your dog’s mouth or tongue may become swollen. This will make it more difficult for him to eat. However, a dog can lose his appetite due to many other diseases.