Can Dogs Eat Chocolate

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

Dogs can’t Eat Chocolate!

Though many human foods are safe in moderate amounts, chocolate is not one of them.  Chocolate can make dogs very ill and can even be fatal.  Veterinarians say it is the most common cause of dogs being poisoned.

There is no safe quantity of chocolate for a dog to have.  The worst and most poisonous is dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate.  Though milk chocolate and white chocolate are not as dangerous, it is still recommended they be avoided.

Is there a difference in types of chocolate when it comes to toxicity?

Some chocolate contains higher levels of theobromine than others.The highest levels can be found in dark and cooking chocolate. On the other hand milk and white chocolate have lowest levels of theobromine. It It does not take much chocolate to poison a medium-weight dog (20 kilograms) – actually 30 grams of it can be serious (30 grams equals to 1 ounce). Seek veterinary help right away if you suspect that your dog has consumed too much chocolate. Different breeds of dogs have different metabolism so there is no golden rule here as to how many chocolate is safe.

Which Symptoms to look for if you suspect that your dog has consumed chocolate

Some of the signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs are the ones listed below:

  • Restlessness.
  • Increased rate of breathing.
  • Increased heart rate.
  • Frequent urination.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhoea.
  • Seizures.

If you suspect that your dog is acting strange and has consumed chocolate you should contact your vet for further advice.