Foods dangerous to your labrador retrievers

Not all foods edible to humans are safe for Labrador Retrievers. Sometimes, what we thought is safe and healthy for us is also safe for our four-legged friend to consume. But since dogs and humans do not have the same metabolism, some foods pose threat causing mild stomach upsets while some may cause severe illness and worst, death. It is important for every dog owner to know which foods are safe and not.

Listed below are some of the foods safe for human but not for dogs:

Chocolate and Caffeine Chocolate, cocoa beans, cola, tea and even milk chocolate and unsweetened chocolate contains theobromine. Caffeine can also be found in coffee, tea, chocolate and colas. Theobromine and caffeine affects animals the way they affect humans. Too much ingestion of these foods increase the breathing and heart rate, sometimes causing irregular beating of the heart. Signs of too much dose include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, restlessness, ataxia, muscle tremors, increased or decreased heart rate, irregular heart rhythm, increased body temperature, seizures, coma or even death.

Grapes/Raisins Grapes and raisins should be given to Labrador Retrievers only in limited amount because of the unknown toxin that could damage the dog’s kidneys. Symptoms of poisoning from grapes or raisins include abdominal pin, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, lack of appetite and a halt in the production of urine.

Garlic and Onions Garlic and onion contain sulfoxides and disulfides that can damage red blood cells and can lead to anemia. Symptoms include lethargy, weakness, discolored urine, diarrhea, liver damage, asthmatic attacks and vomiting. Whether fresh, cooked or powdered forms, these two should be avoided in preparing your dog’s meals.

Macadamia Nuts Macadamia nuts are soft, light-colored nuts derived from the trees of Macadamia integrifolia and Macadamia tetraphylla. These nuts are often used in cookie recipes. An unknown toxin present in macadamia nuts negatively affects the nervous and digestive systems as well as the muscles. Symptoms include gastrointestinal upsets, muscle tremors, stiffness, lethargy, vomiting, weakness and sadness. Symptoms usually start within three to twelve hours after of ingesting the nuts.

Mushrooms Toxins in mushroom vary with species. Some causes abdominal pain, shock, hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting and coma. Some causes kidney failure, liver failure and even death. Ingesting any type of mushroom should be prevented.

Other items to avoid are:

alcoholic beverages milk and other dairy products raw eggs raw fish sugary foods tobacco large amount of table scraps chicken bones