Dog seizures symptoms
When your dog have a seizures it indicated that there are neurological problems that has direct effects with dog brain. There are various causes that can trigger a seizure such as brain tumors, distemper disease and ingestion of toxic substance.
Dog seizures symptoms
Common causes of seizures in dog
1) Brain tumors – tumors can develop and grow from the brain tissues itself or spread from other part of the body to the brain. When tumors size is enlarge, it will put pressure on the brain and cause seizures.
2) Canine distemper virus (CDV) – distemper is a highly contagious airborne type viral disease that can affects the brain and spinal cord (encephalomyelitis).
3) Ingestion of toxic substance – ingestion of insecticides, chocolate, and rat poison can cause seizures. Your dog will have high chance of recovery if the ingestion of toxins is detect early (time sensitive).
Four types of dog seizures
1) Petit mal – this is the first type that cause uncontrollable movements. Dogs will show symptoms such as blank look on their face.
2) Grand mal – this type is a bit more serious and dog will show symptoms such as salivation, chomping their jaws, salivation, loss of bowel urination and movement control. When this period is over dog will often show signs of confusion for a short time.
3) Cluster – this type is very serious case and also can be life-threatening. Cluster refers to seizures that happen frequently within a short period of time. Dog will not have enough time to recover from previous seizure when another one occur.
4) Status epilepticus – this type is similar to cluster and the only difference is that the seizure never stop and the condition is extremely emergency which requires veterinarian assistance as quick as possible.
dog seizures are very dangerous and life-threatening as multiple episodes occur within a short period of time. When your pet start to show signs or symptoms. you must act quickly and take your dog to your veterinarian as quick as possible to reduce damage that can be done to the brain by seizures and increase your dog chance of survival.