The top three household poisons and how to keep your dog from being exposed

The malicious nature of some human beings and other environmental dangers can make it a difficult decision to have an outside dog. While everybody loves the convenience of a watch dog, having one can be risky as there are so many things in the great outdoors that your dog could potentially fall victim to. At the same time, the inside of your home can be just as dangerous an environment for your pet, whether you know it or not.

Chances are that you didn’t know that your kitchen, your bathroom, and even the backseat of your car could all be potentially lethal environments for your pet. If you didn’t have a clue, read on for more information. Here are the top three household poisons that you should look out for, and how to keep your best friend from being exposed to them.

Your Favorite Meal

If you have the type of relationship with your dog that so many people do, it can be difficult to resist that adorable little face when it comes time for your dinner. You may even wonder what harm just one slice of pizza; one sliver of chocolate, or one little chip could possibly do to your pet.

Little do you know that all of the above could prove very harmful, perhaps even lethal to your pet. Raw onions have a tendency to weaken the artery walls in your poor little pet’s heart, so that one piece of pizza can do a lot of harm. Chocolate and any product with caffeine can send your dog into massive convulsions, and don’t forget about potatoes–they can make your dog sick too. Beginning to think twice about feeding your pet from your plate? We hope so.

This is just an inkling of what things in your diet are not suitable for your pets. Sugar and sodium can be some nasty culprits, among other things you might find in your kitchen. The ASPCA website has a full list, so it is safe to say that Kibbles and Bits or whatever your food of choice happens to be should do just fine.

What is Underneath Your Kitchen Cabinet

People have already thought of having special locks on kitchen cabinets to keep the kiddies out, but what about your pets? Pets have a tendency to get into things that could cause them serious harm, cleaning supplies included. Windex, bleach, ammonia, even laundry detergent–these are all things that could cause serious internal problems with your pet. Put them up high or put them in locking cabinets, but whatever you do never allow your pet to come into contact with these items or anything else of this nature. A good rule of thumb is that if you wouldn’t allow your child to come near it, you might want to keep an eye on your pup as well!

Antifreeze–The Real Killer

Those who have the learning channels on cable have probably heard the story of the dog that got into the antifreeze. Some dogs dare to drink a lot, and experience failing kidneys soon after, a surefire way to end their life. Then there are dogs that are smarter, and after taking a few licks figure out that this may not be food for them–unfortunately, even the smarter dogs are at risk as well.

Antifreeze is one of the most dangerous substances that ever posed a threat to the health of your dog, and it can get to them in a variety of ways. Walking them in a summer rainstorm may seem like a cute idea, but the antifreeze they lick off their paws later could be a killer. The same goes with drinking out of puddles in the street. Using your senses and keeping your dog away from situations that could present them with this opportunity is the only surefire way to prevent heartbreak.

While many people would like to think that their home is the safest place for their dog to be, it may not be. The good news about that is that you can change that, by buying pet friendly products and putting the dangerous ones far out of the reach of even the most clever and mischievous of dogs.