Prevent pooch poisoning!

Most people know, unless they have been on some deserted island for decades, that chocolate is not only bad for dogs, it can be potentially deadly to them. There are some other foods that are perfectly safe for all of us to consume, but could cause some very toxic reactions to your little four legged friend should they ingest them.

Keeping in line with the whole chocolate theme, any candy, chewing gum or breath fresheners that contain xylitol could also have a lethal effect on your pup. I am sure that some of us have considered tossing our pooch a mint to help combat their halitosis, but there are special dog treats and bones that are sold in both pet stores and grocery stores that will help take care of that problem.

Some of the other foods that are harmful are no real surprise, either. Salt is just not very good for any of us and dogs are no exception. A few of the items listed would probably not enter into your mind as a possible treat to give your pet. Coffee grounds and tea are two of them and another potential problem, fatty foods, should be banned from the universe for all of our sakes. Alcohol is another culprit, with yeast dough, onions and garlic, avocados and macadamia nuts rounding out the “dangerous list”.

Pet owners are told to feed their dogs treats that are healthy for them. Normally, fruits and vegetables would be a perfect choice. However, there are a couple of fruits that people would be shocked to know of their toxicity. Grapes and raisins are deadly to your pooch pal, therefore they should never be given either of them. The fact that dog trainers used both of these foods as rewards for the dogs effort. This is the most worrisome of all of the foods that were previously mentioned because grapes are so inexpensive and plentiful during the summer months. Both the grapes and the raisins could cause your furry family member to develop acute renal failure- yes even from a handful of raisins. If you think that your dog may have ingested a potentially deadly substance, call the ASPCA’s Poison Control Hotline, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year @ 888-426-4435.